Sunday, March 8, 2020

SOL20 Day 8

One Saturday afternoon, I got a phone call from my brother. This isn't out of the ordinary, as he calls me to vent about work several times a week, but this time his voice sounded different. I had only heard him sound like that one other time, when he told me he was going to purpose to his girlfriend, so I knew he had something important to tell me. Instead of giving it to me right there on the phone, he told me to come over to his house the following day. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

The next day I went over, he acted completely normal. We watched football, talked, and laughed. It was just like any other day we spent together. His wife came home from work and almost immediately he started acting differently. She brought cupcakes in with her, which if you knew them was weird because they are health buffs. I knew at this point we were celebrating something and my guess at the time was that he got a promotion. 

After about twenty minutes they both nearly forced me to get a cupcake to the point that they brought me one on a plate. A couple bites in, I nearly lost a tooth on something hard. I pulled out this white plastic thing. I was frustrated that the place they bought the cupcakes thought it was a good idea to put plastic little figures in their food for people to choke on. My brother and his wife started laughing and I was confused. They told me to look at the plastic piece to see what it is. It was a white baby carriage. The light bulb finally went off! I was so excited I started jumping up and down. My sister in law was crying (happy tears) and my brother was laughing so hard his face was bright red. After we all calmed down, I asked why they told just me and not our whole family. They told me that they talked it over and they want me to find out the gender and plan the gender reveal party. I was so happy to get to do this for them! 

A couple weeks later I went and picked up the gender results. I knew that my sister in law wanted a girl and my brother was happy either way. When I closed my eyes I saw them having a little girl and that is what I wanted for them. When I got the envelope I just sat there with it. Once I knew, I couldn’t tell anyone and that was a lot of pressure. How do I contain the excitement? I ripped open the envelope anyways. Sitting in my car I read the results. Tears filled my eyes as I read that they would be having a little girl. Baby Zoe is due to arrive June 12th!
My niece Zoe coming soon!

5 comments:

  1. Such exciting news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How touching that your brother and his wife wanted you to be in charge of this celebration. Your happiness shines in this piece. Congratulations to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way for your brother to share this news with you. The beginning of this slice had me on pins and needles because I thought something sad was coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! This slice really shows the warm, close relationship you have with your brother. So lovely! And congratulations to everyone! Being an aunt is so much fun!
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete

SOL20 Day 31

Today is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. For me this is a huge accomplishment. Thirty one days of writing by choice. I have nev...