Thursday, March 5, 2020

SOL20 Day 5

The last time I got to drive him to school.
(He is the youngest of the 3 I nannied)
For most of my childhood people always told me I was born to be a teacher. At the time I didn’t understand what they meant by that and I didn’t take it as a compliment like I should have. In a way I guess I felt like they were saying that is all I could be. So when it came time for me to pick a path I strayed away from teaching. Instead, I took the criminal justice path. It wasn’t a bad choice but it definitely wasn’t the right choice. I took two semesters of classes before I realized that this course wasn’t for me. While criminal justice was a hobby of mine;  it wasn’t the right career path. I struggled with what the next move would be.

Around this time I changed jobs. I made the difficult decision to leave nannying and took a job at a daycare. It broke my heart leaving the sweet kids I had nannied for over five years, but it led me to the realization that being a teacher was exactly what I wanted to be. My first day in the daycare was a sink or swim kind of experience. I was thrown into a class with no guidance; I was alone. I wanted to panic but something in me took over. I didn’t sink, I swam! I went to see my academic advisor that same week to switch my major but for the first time I felt like I was meant to be a teacher.



4 comments:

  1. I can relate to that 'cognitive dissonance' about being a teacher - so many people told me I was perfect for that...and I went a different path. I became a teacher at 40! Ha! There is no wrong path - just follow your heart. Teaching is very hard - and truly awesome. The gifts outweigh the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! A lot of people told me the same thing, and I was coaching at the time, so lucky for me I knew it would be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, came to teaching after doing something else. I was kind of dissuaded from becoming a teacher by others. Like you, once I knew, I grabbed the bull by the horns and changed the trajectory of my life. I’ve never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool when you have the kind of realization! And how lucky. I think there are people who never feel that, never find the work they are supposed to do. So glad you did!
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete

SOL20 Day 31

Today is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. For me this is a huge accomplishment. Thirty one days of writing by choice. I have nev...