Monday, March 2, 2020

SOL20 Day 2

It't crazy how in such a short amount of time complete strangers become family.

I played basketball all through high school. It has always been a passion of mine. I spent endless hours practicing and giving my very best to be the best player and teammate I could be. When it was over, I was devastated. I didn’t know just how much I would miss running up and down the court until I wasn’t able to anymore. Every game I watched on T.V. made me crave playing even more. 

One day out of the blue, a former coach contacted me about coaching a girls AAU basketball team. I wasn’t sure about coaching because I had no experience with it, but I took a chance and decided to do it anyways. I wanted to show young girls that this sport is truly something special. To make it more meaningful I was allowed to place my sisters on my team. In the summer of 2017, I coached my team The Heat. These girls quickly became a huge part of my life. I made a pact with them that if they gave me their all, I would give them mine. Three years later, these girls and I are still at it!

3 comments:

  1. Courtney, I am so glad you were able to contribute your love of basketball through coaching! What an amazing experience to be able to have been on both sides of the court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great that you got to turn your passion into something meaningful for others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved basketball in high school. I was terrible at it, but I had a good time. And I loved watching others play. How great that you're able to take your skill and passion and translate them into coaching. What a gift for the players you work with!

    Welcome to the SOLSC!
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete

SOL20 Day 31

Today is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. For me this is a huge accomplishment. Thirty one days of writing by choice. I have nev...