Tuesday, March 10, 2020

SOL20 Day 10

Today has been one of those days. The kind of day where no matter how hard you try things just aren’t going the way you want. It started with a morning melt down. One of my students did not want to do school today. Her mom had to carry her kicking and screaming into the class. Then she put her down and bolted out the door saying “bye, good luck” as the door closed. Her sweet baby laid there on the floor crying with the look of abandonment on her face. I scooped her up and put her at the table. I thought maybe food would calm her. I was wrong. She flipped the plate over onto the floor and pushed her cup across the table. It was 6:30 in the morning, she was cranky and I was exhausted. I picked up the food that was all over the floor and took a deep breath. Then I picked her up and held her for a few minutes. I think it comforted both of us. Afterwards she was fine and so was I.

Earlier that same day I was administering medicine to another student. He has been battling an ear infection for a couple days. He usually takes it pretty well with no complaining. That was not the case today. Today he took a mouth full of the liquid and spit it into the air like he was trying to make it rain. He seemed pretty thrilled with himself but I was not. I had this white chalky medicine all over my shirt and in my hair. It smelled terrible and dried almost immediately. I went to the bathroom and tried to scrub it off with no luck. I wanted to be angry about it but when I came back to the classroom all those sweet smiling faces took all the frustration away. So while it was a long day, it could have been worse.

3 comments:

  1. I commend you on your patience! I'm not sure I could have been as calm and kind as you were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it comforted both of us.

    I think it's so lovely that you find comfort and joy in your work and your students. We choose the climate of our classrooms. It seems that you have already learned that choosing joy is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an eventful day! I'm so glad those babies have you as their teacher!

    ReplyDelete

SOL20 Day 31

Today is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. For me this is a huge accomplishment. Thirty one days of writing by choice. I have nev...