Tuesday, March 3, 2020

SOL20 Day 4


Today I was asked how I remain so positive all the time, and for me this was a loaded question. If only they knew the journey I had been through to be the person I am today. This question came with a sting of the past. If I were to have answered this question with complete transparency it would have sounded something like this:


I experienced many difficult things as a kid that most kids don’t go through. These “things” aren't something I have talked about with anyone until just recently and that is because trusting someone isn’t something I do easily. So I am not going to say exactly what I experienced, but what I went through nearly broke me. The summer after my sophomore year I was at my lowest low to the point that I began to wonder if continuing to live this life was even worth it. I was truly hurting. They don’t know this, but if it wasn’t for my sisters needing me I don’t know what would have happened. I knew that if something happened to me, they would become the target and that is the absolute last thing I wanted. I knew that I had to find a way to make things better on my own, and I did. I used humor to make myself feel better. I liked to laugh and I really liked to make others laugh. Though it was hard sometimes, making people laugh became the way I coped with what I was going through. That remains true today; I make people laugh to cope with what I am going through as well as help take their mind off of what they may be going through. This positive energy could make all the difference for someone that is struggling or hurting.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us Courtney! We are so luckily to have you to fill our days with joy! Your struggles are a part of what made you and I love that you have learned to appreciate that and let it push you forward! I am so lucky to have found such a sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is so powerful and sincere. While I am sorry for your struggles, I am glad you have found a way to cope through positive energy and laughter. I'm also glad your sisters needed you and your protection and you were strong enough to recognize, protect and find a way to peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to read that you found a way to deal with the hard moments in your life. Your sisters sound like a blessing. You're all lucky to have each other. Thanks for sharing so openly and honestly. You sound like a strong person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's impressive that you were able to find a way to deal with what you were facing. So many people don't. Glad for you!

    ReplyDelete

SOL20 Day 31

Today is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. For me this is a huge accomplishment. Thirty one days of writing by choice. I have nev...